Birds: An Exhibit Featuring the Work of Ross Hier and
Other Regional Artists
Northwest Minnesota Arts Council Gallery at NCTC in Thief River Falls
March 2 – April 29, 2021
The Northwest Minnesota Arts Council (NWMAC) is pleased to announce Birds – An exhibit featuring the work of Ross Hier of Crookston, Stephanie Anderson of Fosston, Doug Dallman of Thief River Falls, Sherri Kruger of Badger, Zach Rowatt of Roseau, Travis Hanel of Warren, Ivy Baille of Fosston, Rock Bakken of Hallock, Betsy Saurdiff of Grygla, Kathryn Rynning of Kennedy, Janet Johnson of Roseau, Karen Monson of Plymouth, and Cindy Kolling of Gully.
The exhibit is open from March 2 through April 29, 2021 at the NWMAC Gallery at Northland Community and Technical College in Thief River Falls. It includes paintings, stained glass mosaic sculpture, fiber and mixed media, bird houses, pen and ink, photography, pottery, chalk pastel, and watercolors. Like art, birds reveal a spot of beauty with their plumes and songs and allow us to escape the stressful and mundane. These artists have captured the simplicity, as well as the complexity of birds.
Visit the exhibit virtually here!
The exhibit features a large body of work of Crookston Artist Ross Hier. Ross’s love of nature from a young age led him to a career as a wildlife biologist. He retired after 35 years with the Minnesota DNR Wildlife Section. A self-taught artist, he thoroughly enjoys the versatility of transparent watercolors. Nature provides him with unlimited subject material. Many of his subject ideas arose after observing some interaction in nature, landscape, or creatures. “I am drawn more to days when life wasn’t so driven by technology and was lived at a slower pace.“
In 2019 Ross experienced “a wonderful birding expedition in Ecuador. I observed 33 species during my 13-day adventure and when I returned home, I set out on a personal project to paint all 33 of them. Thus far, I have completed 15 of those 33 species; these watercolors are on display at this exhibit. It is an extreme challenge to capture the vibrant, often neon-esque colors of hummingbirds with watercolor pigments. Also, mimicking blurred wing-movement is very difficult. I have learned much on the project and continue to revel in memories of the ‘amazing 33 species.’”
You won’t want to miss this extensive and multifaceted exhibit!
The NWMAC Gallery is located at Northland Community and Technical College in Thief River Falls. The gallery hours are Monday-Friday from 8:30-5 PM and at other times when events are held at the college. Enter through Door A. Visitor parking is free and at this time in the large end lot.
For more information about our exhibits look to our website at www.NWArtsCouncil.org, or if you are an artist interested in exhibiting a body of work with NWMAC, please contact Trey Everett at (218) 280-4917 or email NWArtsCouncil@gmail.com. This exhibit is made possible with funding from The McKnight Foundation. Please sign up for our e-newsletter on our website home page to see the latest news and grant announcements. Email director@NWArtsCouncil.org or call 218-745-8886 to reach our office during regular business hours.
A number of these pieces are available for purchase.
Work by Ross Hier
- Last Open Water, 8×10, $60
- Phantom Giants in the Fog, 12×16, $100
- End of Day, 8×10, $50
- High Plains Matinee (Crow Scouts Watching Sage Grouse), $225
- The ‘bill Hunters, 8×10, $80
- In Close, 8×10, $60
- Blue Shadows Shanty, 11×14, $100
- Through the Gap, 8×10, $50
- Frozen Waters (Last to Leave), 8×10, SOLD
- Wraith of the Post-burn Kingdom, 11×14, $150
- The Fence Line Thicket, 11×14, $150
- Feeding Movement-Bluebills, 8×10, $60
- Robin-N-Hood (’51 Studebaker), 18×18, $250
- Morning Traffic-Saskatchewan, 8×10, $75
- Ricebed Relic, 11×14, $110
- Restless, 16×20, $180
- Killdeer Chicks, 10×13, $100
- Scaup Memories, 11×14, $85
- Headin’ to the Salad Bar, 8×10, $50
- The Regular Crowd, 16×20, $175
- Moon Dancer, 11×14, $80
- Heavy Fog Warming, 10×13, $75
- Sudden Squall, 8×10,$50
- Just Banded- American Woodcock Chick, 10×13, $55
- Pasture Pass, 8×10, $60
- Breaking Weather, 8×10, $80
- Giant Petrel Study, 10×13, $70
- Snowy Sheathbill, 11×14, $150
- Three King Penguins, One Sheathbill and the Petrel, 24 x 30, $325
- Pool with a View-Chinstrap Penguins, 16×20, $180
- Two Snowy Petrels, 11×14, $130
- Giant Petrel Chick, 9×11, $100
- Sheathbill and Whale Bones, 10×13, $85
- Northern Giant Petrel Study, 10×13, $65
- Traffic Control at Grytviken Whaling Station-South Georgia Island (King Penguins), 16×20, $200
- Corsage for a Pasque Flower, 16 x20, $165
- Sign of a Woodland Drummer, 11 x 14, $110
- Tallgrass Cinema, 6 x 12, $60
- Showy Trillium and Ruffed Grouse Feather, 9 x 12, $65
- American Kestrel Tail Feather, 8 x 10, $40
- Rich Soil, 11 x 14, $110Purple Phantom, 11 x 14, $130
Works for sale by other regional artists:
- Rock Bakken Winter Perch, Acrylic, 23 x 27, $875 plus tax; Emerald and Red, Acrylic, 23 x 27, $875 plus tax
- Zack Rowatt Pallet Wood Screecher, Chalk Pastels, 9 x 12, $50; Birdbath, Chalk Pastels, 9 x 12, $50; Congregation, Chalk Pastels, 9 x 12, $50
- Betsy Saurdiff Flat-backed Birds, Porcelain with sgraffito, 10 x 13, $65; My Sister’s Crow, Porcelain, carved through underglaze, 9.5 x 2, $60; Lovebirds, Porcelain, sgraffito through underglaze, 9 x 2, $58
- Kathryn Rynning Fall Lift Off, Photography, 18 x 22, $95; Lady, I Was Here First, Photography, 23 x 22, $95; Hiding in the Florida Mangroves, Photography, 12 x 15, $35; Wait Until You See the Real Show, Photography, 14 x 17, $40; Red Breasted Robin, Photography, 10 x 12, $25; My Swan Song, Photography, 12 x 13, $30; Nature’s Camo, Photography, 10 x 12, $25; Angelic Peacock, Photography, 12 x 22, $95; Catching a Ride, Photography, 11 x 13, $25
- Sherri Kruger Bauble of Love, Stained Glass Mosaic Sculpture, 39 x 39 x 27, $1,500
- Janet Johnson, Karen Monson What Sayest Thou, Mixed Media, $250
- Doug Dallmann Bird Houses Mixed Media including: wood, old door knobs, handles, telephone insulators, collectibles, salvaged tin. 24 x 5 x 5 to 36 x 5 x 5 Southwest (Tall) $150; Southwest (Short) $125; Floral (Tall) $150; Floral (Short) $125; Picnic Table (Tall),$150; Picnic Table (Short) $150.