Springboard for the Arts is launching a whole new artist residency program in Fergus Falls, A dozen artists will be invited to the newly renovated Kirkbride campus apartments over the course of the year.
The Kirkbride campus was once the home of the Fergus Falls State Hospital and is currently undergoing a transitional period. It can either be redeveloped or torn down. Arts residencies will be between 2 and 12 weeks long.
The Hinge Arts Residency Program looks to look at some of those themes like transition, connection, and innovation. The Hinge name comes from connecting artists to past and the future.
Taken from the ImagineFergusFalls.tumblr.com/artistresidency site:
Call for Artists
Announced Monday, October 20, 2014
From January 2015 – December 2015, the Hinge Arts Residency program welcomes writers, filmmakers, musicians, visual and performance artists for stays of 2-12 weeks on the grounds of the former Fergus Falls State Hospital, also known as “The Kirkbride Building.” Residents are provided housing in newly converted apartments in a former nurse’s dormitory owned by a private developer, with a view overlooking the main hospital building, as well as workspace with partner organizations throughout the community.
In addition to receiving creative time and living space, artists are eligible for project support funds of up to $5000 through the following types of projects:
- Developing content for the annual Kirkbride Arts & History Weekend, held in early September 2015
- Prototyping ideas for permanent art spaces or installations on the Kirkbride grounds
- Presenting educational workshops and demonstrations for the community and its visitors throughout the year.
Upon their selection into the program, each artist will be matched with a specific need or opportunity via meetings with Springboard staff and partners.
Summary of Artist Benefits
- Weekly living stipend of $100 per week
- Fully equipped apartments (kitchen, linens, washer/dryer)
- Eligible for community engagement project funds up to $5000
- Travel scholarships available
Read more about this exciting opportunity here.