General Information on the Northwest Minnesota Art Exhibition
The Northwest Minnesota Arts Council is the primary coordinator and sponsor of this popular area exhibition. Last year $2300.00 of prize money was awarded at the Northwest Minnesota Art Exhibition!
The entry form is now in our on-line portal and it is due by February 28th each year. Click >>> LOGIN then Create New Account to set yourself up as a user. (If you have already applied for one of our grant programs, you can use your same Login.) This is the same place that applicants register to receive a grant. Therefore, once you are registered you will be able to use this same website to monitor your entry and see past entries and receive automatic emails; and manage any grants you may receive from our office! Many artists that we serve are very active on the Internet and with email, if you are not part of this group that is okay, we can manually enter your entry information.
If you are a teacher or entering pieces for a group, there is an updated teacher spreadsheet that you can request by emailing Mara or calling 218-745-9111. The teacher/group spreadsheet here shows basically what it looks like but this is last year’s version. Both are in Microsoft Excel that you can use and attach to the on-line entry form. We are also encouraging teachers to create a complimentary Word file that shows the students work samples as pictures inserted into the document with the student’s name and work title. Or create a power point. These can be attached to an email to Mara.
To receive a printed copy of the form including rules and directions please email our office firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office 218-745-9111 to have one sent in the mail or emailed to you. The Rules are still on this website. There is an entry fee per piece. If you would like to use PayPal the link is on our Donations page under About Us.
Adult artists and high school or college students with permanent residency in the Minnesota counties of Kittson, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake and Roseau are invited to participate. You can can enter up to two pieces of artwork. To be eligible a work must have been completed within the last five years and not have been accepted into a previous Northwest Minnesota Art Exhibit.
The dates and locations of the past exhibits are below:
- April 28-30, 2000 Central Middle School in East Grand Forks. Co-sponsor was the East Grand Forks Arts and Crafts Council.
- April 20-22, 2001 Northland Community Technical College in Thief River Falls. Co-sponsors were the GFWC Zehlians and the Thief River Falls Community Arts Council.
- April 19-21, 2002 Park Place Mall in Red Lake Falls. Co-sponsors were Two Rivers Area Theatre and Clayworks.
- April 2-6, 2003 Library of the University of Minnesota Crookston Campus. Co-sponsors were Valley Crossing Arts Council and UMC staff.
- May 4-10, 2004 Multi-purpose room at Warren/Alvarado/Oslo High School in Warren. Co-sponsors were the WAO school district and the Warren Women’s Club.
- April 20-24, 2005 Media Arts Library at Ada/Borup High School in Ada. Co-sponsors were the Ada/Borup school district and the Ada Community Theater.
- March 22-27, 2006 Hallock City Hall in Hallock. Co-sponsors were Artists Unlimited and Kittson Central school district.
- April 11-15, 2007 Stephen Arts Center in Stephen. Co-sponsor was the Stephen Arts Council.
- April 30 – May 4, 2008 at the Roseau City Center and Library, Roseau, MN.
- April 21 – 26, 2009 at the Fertile Community Building, Fertile, MN.
- April 21-25, 2010 at the Library and Community Center, Climax, MN.
- April 4 – 17, 2011 at the public library in Crookston, MN
- April 26 – May 6, 2012 at the VFW and City Office in Kennedy, MN.
- April 12 – 21, 2013 at the Fosston Library Arts Center in Fosston, MN.
- April 16-27, 2014 at the American Legion in Middle River, MN.
- April 22 – May 4, 2015 at the Ralph Englestad Arena in Thief River Falls, MN.
- April 11 – May 18, 2016 at the Roseau City Center and Library in Roseau, MN
- April 20-30, 2017 at Norman County School library in Halstad, MN
- April 18-28, 2018 at the Ralph Englestad Arena in Thief River Falls, MN included an Arts Expo
- April 17-28, 2019 Community Center in Badger, MN
Co-Sponsor and Exhibit Location Search
The exhibit occurs each Spring in a new location in our region. Currently we are searching for a location for the next Spring exhibit. E-mail email@example.com if your organization is interested in being co-sponsor.
Exhibit Schedule Outline
A juror or committee will determine which pieces will be part of the exhibit from the slides or photographs you submit with your entry form. Selected work must be delivered to the exhibition site, framed correctly, on Monday afternoon/evening (exact times and dates will be determined later). The juror will select which pieces are awarded prizes on Tuesday morning. Artwork will be displayed for the public viewing Tuesday afternoon for one and one half weeks usually through Saturday or Sunday or Monday depending on location. An artist reception and award ceremony will occur on Saturday/Sunday at approximately 3:00 p.m. or Monday at 6:30 pm depending on location. All artwork must be picked up immediately following the artist reception or on the day announced.
For More Information
The best way of receiving information is to sign up for our e-newsletter! Go to our home page and click the button to sign up. You are always welcome to call or email our office if you are confused or want the specifics of the current year 218-745-9111.