Although Ted Kooser’s book, The Poetry Home Repair Manual states on the cover that it is “practical advice for beginning poets,” the book has great lessons for poets at any level of experience. In this course, you will work through Kooser’s book chapter-by-chapter, gleaning the valuable lessons he has to impart, and practicing incorporating some of his “practical advice” into our own poems. Each week, there will be a handful of discussion questions drawn from that week’s assigned chapter, then a poem prompt related to that week’s topics. Each participant will come away from the class with a truckload of new ideas, new tools in their poetry toolbox, 10 new poem drafts and the feedback received on them from participants and instructor LouAnn Muhm to guide revision, and a new writing community with whom to share triumphs and struggles.
Poetry Home Repair (10 weeks):
March 15-May 21,2021— $350
Registration deadlines: March 10. Ten spots available, first-come, first served. To register or for more information, email email@example.com or visit https://northbeachwritersretreat.com/poetry-home-repair/
In this class, you will be following along in The Poetry Home Repair Manual by Ted Kooser. It is necessary that you have the book (print or digital) in order to take the class.
Topics covered in this 10-week course include:
- Week 1–Chapter 1: Poet’s Job Description
- Week 2–Chapters 2-3: Writing for Others and First Impressions
- Week 3–Chapters 4-5: Don’t Worry About the Rules, Rhyming, and Prose Poems
- Week 4–Chapter 6: Writing About Feelings
- Week 5–Chapter 7: Can You Read Your Poem Through Your Poem?
- Week 6–Chapter 8: Writing from Memory
- Week 7–Chapter 9: Working with Detail
- Week 8–Chapter 10: Controlling Effects Through Careful Choices
- Week 9–Chapter 11: Fine tuning Similes and Metaphors
- Week 10–Chapter 12: Relax and Wait