Are you an artist with disabilities, an arts leader or an organization trying to provide access to people with disabilities?
Take advantage of these two upcoming events to learn about opportunities for artists and organizations related to accessibility & the arts
Introduction to Accessibility & the Arts
Arts Access For All Partners with Minnesota Access Alliance: A shared vision for full inclusion in the Arts
Thursday, April 19, 2018
10:00am to 12:00 pm (doors open at 9:45am)
East Grand Forks Campbell Library
422 4th Street Northwest
East Grand Forks, MN 56721
Are you looking for ways for your organization to implement accessibility? Take this opportunity to learn how to plan the implementation of accommodating people with various disabilities when visiting your museum, theater, cultural organization and events.
The facilitator, Sherry Shirek, is a passionate advocate with over 25 years of experience working in the field of disability. Sherry is the co-founder of Arts Access For All, a consortium that began in 2015 in the Moorhead/Fargo Metro region to bring together Arts and cultural leaders, staff, volunteers, community-based organizations, and people with disabilities to discuss ways to implement accommodations one step at a time.
- Learn how to reach out and welcome people with disabilities into your Arts or Cultural organization
- Learn some simple solutions to provide access and accommodations for people with disabilities
- Learn where to find resources and what other organizations have done to implement accessibility
- Examine your facility by using an ADA survey checklist and meet experts in the field that can help facilitate these surveys
- Become a part of a larger community that is passionate and supports one another, shares information by in-person workshops, email discussion lists and Facebook groups.
- Join together with arts leaders, program and education staff, docents and volunteers from a variety of community-based organizations, theaters, cultural centers, and museums
Registration required. To complete your free registration form, go to: http://www.artsafa.org
Facilities and parking are wheelchair accessible. Perfumes or scented lotions are not permitted. For questions or to request accommodations, please contact Sherry Shirek 701-781-3055 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsored in part by the Minnesota State Arts Board
Doing, Collaborating & Attending: Resources to Expand Arts Participation by Artists and Non-Artists with Disabilities
Craig Dunn, Executive Director of VSA Minnesota, will be at the Arts Expo on Saturday, April 28 and will be speaking at 11:00 about how the organization helps people with disabilities participate in the arts both as artists and as arts consumers. His presentation will benefit both artists and arts administrators with and without disabilities by showing examples of collaboration, inclusion, accommodation and access. Handouts will be available and questions will be encouraged and welcomed. Craig will be available throughout the event to discuss these issues.
Saturday, April 28
Ralph Engelstad Arena Dakota Room
Thief River Falls
Put both of these events on your calendar!