REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Performance and Outreach Opportunity at the 2018 Minnesota State Fair for Minnesota performing arts organizations and individual performing artists
For the sixth consecutive year, the Minnesota State Fair will continue the Arts A’Fair Program in 2018 by presenting a variety of performing arts experiences representing Minnesota arts organizations and artists. Participating in this program allows you to promote your work with “Pop Up Performances” on the fairgrounds. Your act/number/vignette will be performed up to four times daily for three consecutive days. Each organization will be paid $1400 for the entire project. In addition, your organization will receive the opportunity to connect with your audiences before and after your performances at your performance location and will be promoted through various means by the fair’s marketing department.
Where: Minnesota State Fairgrounds (West End Market & new location in North End of fairgrounds)
When: Three consecutive days from August 23 through September 3, 2018 (exact three days and performances times to be determined).
- Organizations/artists who were selected in the past are welcome to reapply with the same material or with something new.
- Performers will have a designated outdoor performance area but should keep in mind the general atmosphere of the Fair.
- Audiences are drawn to interactive, visually bold or acoustically dynamic performances.
- Almost 2 million visitors attend the Minnesota State Fair each year! Expect all ages, cultures and tastes.
Requirements for Performance Participation:
- Each performance should be 10-15 minutes; set up/strike times should be kept to a minimum.
- For ease of execution, only minimal props can be used.
- Performers should be prepared to perform on grass or concrete, without an elevated stage or proscenium.
Provided for performers:
- Dressing room space (to be shared with other performers).
- Sound system with wireless microphones and audio playback.
- Gate admission to the fair on days of performance.
- $10 State Fair food vouchers per performer per day.
- Per diem reimbursement for performers who are located outside of the Twin Cities metro area.
Organizations/artists wishing to perform please provide:
- Your organization’s name and mailing address, as well as a contact person and his/her phone number and email address. If applying as an individual artist, please provide your contact information, as well as an arts organization and contact person at that organization that will act as a reference for your work.
- A description of the performance that you wish to submit for consideration, including props and/or wardrobe, if applicable. The application may be in the form of a written proposal (via email). You are encouraged to send photos, DVD, or video clips.
- A description of your technical requirements, such as sound, performance surface, etc.
- Performance dates that present a significant conflict for your organization (August 23 –September 3, 2018).
- Audience enjoyment (must be family-friendly)
- Ease of presentation at event
- Diverse representation of genres, cultures and geography
Application Deadline is May 1, 2018
The proposals will be reviewed and selections made by the Minnesota State Fair. The organizations chosen to perform will be notified no later than May 31 and issued a letter of agreement.
Please send proposals to: email@example.com OR
Minnesota State Fair – Arts A’Fair 1265 Snelling Ave N
St. Paul, MN 55108
Minnesota State Fair Mission is To educate and involve our guests by providing a world-class showcase that is innovative, entertaining and fun.
We strive to:
- Showcase Minnesota’s finest agriculture, art and industry.
- Present an unparalleled forum for knowledge and ideas.
- Provide outstanding customer service.
- Offer exceptional value.
- Provide a safe, clean environment that is accessible to all.
- Create unique experiences.
For general information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dudley Voigt, Arts A’Fair Program Manager, email@example.com or
Shannon Buchda, Minnesota State Fair, firstname.lastname@example.org, (651) 288-4395