Franconia Sculpture Park Fellowship and Intern Programs
Located in the scenic St. Croix River Valley, Franconia Sculpture Park is a nonprofit arts organization operating a 43-acre outdoor sculpture park, active artist residency, and community arts programming. Through their artist residency program, Franconia awards competitive fellowships and internships to up to 40 emerging, mid-career, and established visual artists each year, supporting the creation and exhibition of large-scale sculpture at our 43-acre sculpture park and artist residency in Franconia, MN. Franconia also provides artists the opportunity to exhibit two- and three-dimensional artwork at Franconia in the City @ Casket Gallery in Northeast Minneapolis, MN. They foster an inspiring outdoor environment for the community to create, engage, and learn about three-dimensional art through an annual exhibition of over 100 sculptures created by artists-in-residence.
2018 Open Studio Fellowship Program
Deadline: February 3, 2018 via email by MIDNIGHT CST
Fellowships provide the opportunity for artists and/or artist teams to create ambitious new projects and exhibit work while in residence at Franconia Sculpture Park. Successful applicants propose new work and clearly demonstrate how a fellowship at Franconia will positively impact their career. Art includes sculpture, multi-media, object based performance, three-dimensional installation, and site-specific.
- Up to 4 artist teams will be selected.
- Artists receive a fellowship of $5,000 to support their time in residence and the creation of new artwork.
- Residencies last a minimum of 4 weeks.
- Will take place from April 1 and installation complete by September 9
- Fellows may NOT be in residence at the Park the last week of July or the first week of August.
- Artwork created during the fellowship will be included in Franconia’s outdoor exhibition for a minimum of 1 year.
- Fellows will sign an agreement/contract and complete all exit materials.
Please review all information carefully. Applicants who do not meet the following criteria will not be considered:
- Fellowships are for the creation of new work only.
- Applicants must be active and practicing artists, evident in resume or CV.
- Fellowships are given to U.S. residents and/or applicants who have a valid work visa.
- Artists may NOT be enrolled in a degree-seeking program, either part-time or full time, at an institution of higher learning during the Fellowship.
- Applicant’s work falls in the area of sculpture, three-dimensional installation, performance based object, multi-media, and/or site-specific.
2018 Intern Artist Program
Deadline: February 10, 2018 via email by MIDNIGHT CST
The Intern Artist Program at Franconia offers undergraduate and graduate students, as well as emerging artists the opportunity to create large-scale three-dimensional artwork, develop their nascent artistic practice, receive mentorship from professional artists-in-residence, conduct public presentations, and participate in public engagement programs while in residency at Franconia. The rural setting and chance to work along side peers & mid-career artists creates a dynamic setting for artists to grow, learn, and mature.
The Intern Artist Program is the brainchild of John Hock, co-founder and Artistic Director/CEO, based on pivotal experiences he had as a young artist. The program began with the park’s founding in 1996 and has grown to support more than 200 emerging artists to date. Recognized by the National Foundation for the Advancement in the Arts for program excellence, the program is designed to bridge the gap between the academic world of artistic training and a professional career.
For more information about the opportunities visit their website: http://www.franconia.org/ArtistOpportunities.html.